Sunday, November 9, 2008

Bars in malls, Olafur Eliasson, and sore booty

I had a very eventful weekend. Not only did i run tons of errands and clean my house, I went out about town!

I went to meet my hip hop friend for happy hour at Northpark Mall. I was a little bit skeptical about going to a bar/restaurant in a mall because it just reminded me of the Rockin Robin burger joint at the mall near my house growing up. Not a swanky place where young professionals hang out! It was a little bit cheesy, and there was a cool patio, but it faced a parking lot. However, the happy hour prices were awesome, and there were tons of people (and more kept coming through as the night went on) and it was actually really fun. I got to know my friend better, and we met some interesting male characters (she is on the prowl...mrrrowr!).

On Saturday, I rode my bicycle down to the Dallas Museum of Art (where people turning left onto Woodall Rodgers do no realize that pedestrians/bicyclists have the right of way!) to check out a members only preview of Olafur Eliasson's exhibit "Take Your Time." WOW. I was totally floored. He uses crazy lights and colors and constructs these huge kaleidascope-y structures that are really amazing. There was one room where you step into a circular structure projecting all these really intense colors. One of the colors was this super warm magenta/pink, and while the temperature wasn't changing, I definitely felt some heat. I just wanted to stand there forever. There was also another another room where you walk through a kaleidascope tunnel and end up in a room with piercing yellow light, making turning everyone grayscale. It was totally awesome.

Lastly, with all this bike riding, i had a sore booty the next day! I think i need some of those biker shorts with butt pads.

No comments:

Post a Comment