Monday, July 20, 2009

I ASK YOU TALK: Looking Sexy When It's 105 Degrees Out

Having grown up with the nickname *Sweaty Betty*, I desperately fear summers in Dallas because of the frequency of 100+ degree days. Between the months of May and September, it's not uncommon to see me wearing a big ol' sweat mustache.

How does a girl (or anyone, for that matter) stay even remotely cute when it's 105 degrees out?! I asked the advice of some moviegoers/workers/organizers at the Magnolia Theater, where I volunteered for the Asian Film Festival of Dallas this weekend.



Name: Josh
Years in Dallas: 24 years
On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the max), how sweaty do you get? 7 or 8 - I'm above average sweaty.
How do you stay sexy when sweaty? To stay refreshed, I take showers. I love wearing dark clothes, which isn't good for the summer, so it's tough.
What is your favorite icy treat? Bubble tea!


Name: Nguyen
Years in Dallas: 4 hours (visiting from the Bay Area- holla!)
On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the max), how sweaty do you get? 7 - heavy, but not a 10.
How do you stay sexy when sweaty? I just work the glisten! It's 2009 so matte is out, glow is in.
What is your favorite icy treat? Frozen yogurt from the Pinkberry in Soho. It's the original and has the best customer service, bar none.

Name: Alicia
Years in Dallas: 23 years
On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the max), how sweaty do you get? 6. I'm fairly sweaty, especially when I play tennis.
How do you stay sexy when sweaty? [laughs] Multiple wardrobe changes, showers and good deoderant.
What is your favorite icy treat? Bubble tea.

Name: David
Years in Dallas: 10 years
On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the max), how sweaty do you get? 10! I'm a big guy and I work out a lot, so I get very sweaty. My clothes are always drenched. I can't stand it.
How do you stay sexy when sweaty? I strategically plan my wardrobe - you don't want to wear long sleeves when it's this hot. I minimize my time outdoors.
What is your favorite icy treat? Vodka tonic, with extra lime (ed. note: a man after my own heart!)

Name: Shawn
Years in Dallas: 24 years
On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the max), how sweaty do you get? 10! I get so hot I could cook an egg on my chest.
How do you stay sexy when sweaty? I try to find an air vent and stand on top of it, a la Marilyn Monroe. I also carry a hankerchief.
What is your favorite icy treat? Natsumi's sorbet [plug for a sponsor of the AFFD]. I'm a vegan and sorbet is strictly fruit.

Name: Angie
Years in Dallas: 38 years
On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the max), how sweaty do you get? 7. I'm moderately sweaty.
How do you stay sexy when sweaty? A lot of blotting. Also, wearing things that are cool and catch the breeze. No black because it soaks up heat.
What is your favorite icy treat? Grande green tea lemonade with mango from Starbucks.

When it's 105 degrees out, I don't think any amount of wardrobe preparation will keep me from looking like sweaty pile of poop! But I definitely say yes to the vodka tonic.


3 comments:

  1. i don't. haha. being out in the eastside of Los Angeles last weekend (105 degrees and up), I just tried to reach a zen like like mind-state as much as my sweat-soaked jeans reminded me that I was melting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! you did get David's phone number, right? you need to introduce us. If he's got a Ducati to go with that t-shirt, he's my kinda guy, sweat bucket or not.

    ReplyDelete